Successful Social Media Tip of the Day . . . How to Use Social Media for Your Small Business
So, how do you use social media in a useful way to promote your business in our on-line world? How do you decide what social media networks to use and how often? Getting started is the easy part, maintaining your social media strategy is what takes time.
Here are a few tips to help you with your social media game plan –
1. Be consistent – this is key to social media success. Start by choosing your URL name carefully and constantly use the same name on all your social media accounts so if a viewer finds you on Twitter, they can also find you on Facebook or Pinterest. Make your name easy to remember and re-type, try not to use strange symbols or characters, and leave numbers out as well.
2. Know Who Your Target Audience Is– This is a must in order to know which social media networks you should be on. There are so many social media networks out there, in order to be effective, use the ones that fit the demographics for your business or brand. Of course, the big ones like Twitter and Facebook should be part of your social media plan. Choose your other networks, like Tumblr, Instagram and Vine if you are promoting to teens. Use Pinterest to showcase retail products and tailor your boards to the type of audience you are seeking. Whichever social media site you choose, remember, it is better to be on a few social media sites and do that well than to be everywhere without the time to maintain sites.
3.Plan Your Content Wisely – Find out what is trending on Twitter in your industry, use content that is helpful or useful in some way in order to have it shared or retweeted. Have a schedule of who is posting and what is to be posted so you are maintaining regular activity on your accounts.
4. Don’t Have Shameless Self-Promotion – Mix it up a bit, you can promote yourself or brand along with sharing information your customers will appreciate and share themselves. Useful content adds value to your site and will help you in search engine ranking.
5.Re-Purpose – Remember your blog post from last December, it may still have relevance today. You may need to do some reworking or add a new graphic but old content can be good content to re-share. Use a service like Tweet analytics to grab that post which had the most previous re-shares or engagement.
6.Have Social Share Buttons Everywhere – Any social media site you are using should have a share button. Be sure to put the social share buttons on your website, blog, business card and every source of advertising you do, even on the side of your truck if you drive one. Let everyone know how they can reach you.
7. Use Social Media Yourself – Social Media is about sharing useful information to benefit the greater good. Make time daily to check all your social media sites, see who has followed you or shared your content, look at their content and share others engaging content. Comment on a post you found useful. When you have new followers, find them on other social media sites and follow. Look up their website or blog and read their content.
8. Find Influencers– Find out the people who are making a difference in your industry on social media. What is their message ? How are they successfully presenting it ? What is their most shared content about?
Be dedicated to your social media strategy and it will pay off. Choose your networks wisely, keep at being consistent and you will build a following. There are endless possibilities to your social media success !
Please feel free to share or like this post if you found it useful !