SEO stands for search engine optimization. If you have a website or blog, knowing a little bit about SEO will be a benefit in aiding of the design and content for your site. Google is a top indexer on the web at this time. Here are a few things to know:
Each time someone does a web search, the search engine, such as Google will pull up the most relevant information to match that search. Here is how Google indexes for the web.
Google has little spiders or bots, they call them Googlebots. These Googlebots crawl out on the web, over billions of pages. They use an algorithm process to determine which sites to crawl too. When they discover new or updated pages, it will look for links on the pages and add them to the list of pages to crawl on Google’s Sitemap.
Google does have tools such as AdWords but it will not use that to find pages. All this searching is used to update the Google index.
After finding your page, Google will index it. This is a process which will put every word on your page and its location in an index. Keywords and key content tags like Title tags will rank higher in the indexing process.
Google uses over 200 attributes when a search inquiry is made. One of the most important attribute is Page Rank. Page Rank shows the relevancy of your page to Google. The way to increase your page ranking is to have links from other websites link back to your site. Google does not rate all links as equal and Google is good at identifying spam and other negative practices so they give searchers the best results possible.
One of the way Google does this is with the Google Autocomplete is a tool that helps searchers save time by doing several things. It will automatically correct misspelled words, save past poplar search inquiries and will display common terms relevent to the search. Why is this important to you ?
Google’s web crawlers or Googlebots use the keywords generated by the Autocomplete features. If your page ranks high, it is because the Google algorithm determined your content relates to their keyword in a more relevant way than other sites. This is a good thing, a very good thing to achieve.
There are many things you can do to improve your chances of ranking higher and being indexed by Google. Here are just a few to note.
1. When your website is ready, you can submit a site map go Google. Why do this ?
A site map will help Google know all your pages and URLs on your site which might not be uncovered by Google in the regular web crawl process. This is particular helpful if your site is new. It will allow Google to rank you much faster.
2. Make sure your content is of quality information. It should be clear, useful and accurate. Double check for grammar errors and misspellings.
3. Check for broken links. Google doesn’t like that. Remember, some links can go bad, so plan a quick weekly review of site links.
4. Chart out your site so it makes sense in a hierarchy. If you use dynamic pages, do not use to many. Search engines like static pages better.
5. Test your site in different browsers to make sure it works the same in every browser.
6. Make sure your site load time is optimal. Google will not show you in search results if your pages take too much time to load.
7. Use Google’s robots.txt to make sure advertisements are not affecting search engine rankings.
8. Avoid tricks to try to boost ranking. Be yourself on your website, this is the best way to show your value and it is an honest way to have useful and engaging content.
Knowing a little SEO can go a long way in assisting your web efforts.
Please share or like this post if you found it useful!