Pinterest is a free social media platform that you can use to promote your product or brand. Once you start pinning, it’s hard to stop !
Pinterest can give your business exposure on a social media platform that is visual. Create boards that are useful as well as interesting. The goal of using Pinterest for your business is to engage others with your pins. Hopefully they will re-pin your pin which will circulate your business to a whole new audience.
Here are a few tips to using Pinterest successfully:
1. Make sure you have the Pin button on your blog and website so people can pin your stuff.
2. Use this free tool Canva to create interesting pins. There are several free graphic design tools but I find Canva easy to use and quick to learn.
3. Name your pins using Keywords that searches will pick up. Don’t use words that have no relationship to a pin. For example, if your pin is a surfboard, do call it surfboard but don’t call it product #5.
4. Pin on group boards. They usually have tons of followers and if you pin on them, that gives someone a chance to share your pin with others.
5. Make sure the images you use are the right size for Pinterest. There are different sizes for different areas, for example your profile picture should be 165px x 165pixels. Visual.ly has an awesome chart you can view here to see all the sizes . VISUAL.LY PINTEREST CHEAT SHEET IMAGE SIZES
6. If you are using pictures in a blog post for your brand, put the picture first to draw and engage your audience, then have your text follow. This will make it more attractive for others to pin.
7. Invest time in your followers. Remember, this is social media, so be social. If you have a new follower, check out their pin boards to see if they have pins and like or re-pin some of their pin. Don’t go crazy and re-pin someone’s whole Pinterest account. Pinterest frowns upon that and may shut you off for excessive pinning.
8. Share your pins with other social media platforms such as your Facebook and Twitter account. To do this, first link your Facebook and Twitter accounts in the Profile section on Pinterest. After you do this, when you create a new pin, it will have the option to send it to Facebook and Twitter, just check the box next to the platform name.
9. Add a Pinterest widget to your website or blog by clicking on the gear box in the profile section and click on Add a Widget.
10. Don’t forget about the Analytics ! Learn what people are pinning from your site. In order to use this feature you must have a website address to enter in your profile which Pinterest will then verify and you should be good to go!
Your boards do not need to have thousands of pins on them for people to want to follow. I find after about 200 pins I get bored and need to go onto to the next thing so don’t waste your time adding thousand of pins to one board. You are better cutting off at a certain number of pins and start a new board. That will give your pins a better chance at being viewed. That’s what I do now.
These are just a few tips to get help with Pinterest. Once you develop several boards you will see your Pinterest Platform start to take shape.
Remember, Pinterest is a visual platform so make your pins colorful, of good quality and of a useful nature so visitors will engage with you on Pinterest.
Happy Pinning !