SEO or Search Engine Optimization is a way to have search engines notice your site. There are good SEO practices know as “white hat” and bad SEO practices known as “black hat”. You want to stay on the “white hat” side. Here are a few ideas to help your SEO . . .
Page Rank – good SEO practices will raise your page rank position and help your website get noticed. How do you do this?
Google is one of the largest search engines with the most search traffic on the web. Google uses a formula to create a Page Rank for web pages. This assigns a value to your content based on Google searches. The exact formula is secret but there are a few knowns about Page Rank.
- links to other sites – more isn’t always better – Google likes to see links to pages with high page ranking, the higher page rank of the links on your site, the better off you will be. Just having a lot of links that do not lead to sites with value will not help your Page Rank.
- links back to your site – this is what you want to have happen, visitors linking back to your site will help your SEO
How do you find your Page Rank ? If you use Google Chrome, you can add a plug in to your browser or use a Page Ranking website like http://www.prchecker.info
Don’t worry if you don’t get a page rank, if your site is new you may not have a rank yet. Also, keep in mind that the scores from page ranking websites are an estimation not the actual Google page rank score, Google keeps that secret!
To use the page rank checker you will need to know your URL which starts with the http:// or https:// for most sites.
Permalink – What about your permalink? WordPress gives each post something called a permalink. You can see your post permalink listed just under your post title in the post editor. If your post title has words in it like -the,a or any non essential words that could mislead search engines, this is where you can remove those words and replace them with Keywords or simply just shorten the post title. For example, if your post title is “the day I walked the dog by the store and got my big showbiz break”, the permalink would look like this – http:// xyzstore.com / the-day-I-walked-the-dog-by-the-store-and-got-my-big-showbiz-break. You could edit the permalink to look like this instead – http:// xyz.com / day-I-walked-dog-got-showbiz-break. (NOTE – there are extra spaces inserted into these examples in order to prevent them from actually being a link to a site).
SEO and images you use – don’t forget about any image you are using in a post – make sure to use keywords in the description of your image. Be sure to fill in the details in your media library with the image title, alternative text -( which is for visitors using assisting devices to read website pages)- and a caption.
Categories – make sure the categories you are using are the correct. WordPress automatically fills in the last category you used so if you have several on your site, make sure the right one is checked. You can use as many of your categories as you like if they are appropriate for the post.
Lastly for today, Tags – this is just under the Categories Box on the right side of your post. Tags are a way for others to find your content. Searchers will use certain keywords to find what they are looking for on the web and your tags will help your content surface in searches. Do not over use Tags, search engines and searchers will not like it if they are searching for vacation home and you tagged your post about feeding birds with a vacation home tag. Most posts do well with search engines if they have between 3 and 10 tags per post. WordPress keeps a record of previously used Tags, just start typing the tag in the Tag Box and WordPress will automatically recall your tag so you don’t have to re-type the entire tag.
For search engines like Google – good SEO is honest SEO – no tricks, no spam, keep your content fresh and honest and you will find the search engines will like you.
Feel free to share or like this post if you found it useful !
Have you been trying to use Pinterest and wish to gain more followers or have more of your pins shared? There are many ways to improve your Pinterest visibility on the social media horizon.
Here are a few Pinterest tips to consider –
1. If you regularly post on a blog or website, create a board in your Pinterest account to pin all your blog posts on. Make sure to give the post a clear description or summary about the post in the pin description box.
2. Use relevant Keywords when naming your boards so searchers can easily find your products.
3. Make the cover of the board an eye catching visual to attract visitors to investigate your board.
4. Create secret boards first to make sure they are ready for the spotlight, then change the board type so all can see.
5. Put your most important boards first, first impressions are important.
6. Make sure to have Pin buttons on your blog with any posts so your material is able to be posted by viewers.
7. Embed your website name in a pin so a viewer can click through to your site via the pin.
8. Make sure to set up a business Pinterest account so you can take advantage of Pinterest Analytic tool for free. Pinterest Analytics will tell you what your most popular pins and boards are.
9. Don’t forget to check out your competition. Pinterest is a valuable resource to see what your competition is up to.
10. Use Pinterest to find other businesses or professionals to network with.
11. When holidays are coming near, consider making a holiday board because pinners will be looking for those types of pins – for example – Halloween DIY board ? Once they find your Pinterest board they may stop and look at your other boards.
Happy Pinning !
Please feel free to share or like this post if you found it useful.
Now that you have your Twitter feed up and running on your WordPress blog, adding a Facebook Like box to your site will help you with promotion of your products and services. This post will go through the steps to add the Facebook Like box for WordPress.com sites. If you have a WordPress.org site, you will need to have a Jetpack plug in to proceed.
It’s easy to add the Like box once you have created a Facebook Page on your Facebook account. Go to your Facebook account to create a Page for your business. A Facebook Page is an additional page added to a profile in which anyone can visit it and read the content.
To create your Page, log into your Facebook account, click on Pages from the menu under your profile picture. This will ask you to choose the type of Page you wish to create. Facebook will ask you to fill in a description and add a link to your WordPress site. Upload your Page profile picture and you are good to go. One thing to keep in mind is Facebook pictures are square shaped and if you are trying to use your WordPress header photo, it’s not square, so this may not be the photo to use.
Be sure to click SAVE before you go back to your WordPress site. Now you are ready to add the Like box.
Here we go – First go to your WordPress site Dashboard
1. go to the Appearance menu – then to Widgets.
2. Drag the Facebook Like box into a Widget box.
3. Type in your Facebook Page web address. (*Make sure it’s your PAGE address).
4. Make any changes to the box now, such as size, color.
5. Click Save.
Now visit your site and see your Facebook Like box. You can always go back to the Widget menu to make adjustments to the Like box.
Please feel free to share or like this post if you found it useful !
Would you like to share your Tweets on your website or blog?
Adding your Twitter feed to your blog or website can display more content from you. If you are active on Twitter, this can also add to your site’s dynamics making it feel current to followers and you may even gain Twitter followers and engagement.
If you are trying to add your Twitter feed to your blog and can’t figure it out, this post is for you. This post will help you do this on a WordPress.com site.
Let’s Begin -
The first thing you need to do is create your Twitter Timeline widget within your own Twitter account. This will generate a widget ID code that WordPress needs in order to enable the Twitter widget on your site.
So let’s go to your Twitter account and follow these steps -
1. Click on your profile photo in the upper right hand corner.
2. This brings up the Account menu on the left side of your screen. Click on the Widget menu located near bottom of the account menu.
3. Click Create New.
This will bring you to the widget menu with options to auto expand photos(this option will display pictures you link to in tweets) and exclude replies(this option will not display a tweet if it is just a reply to someone’s tweet). These are automatically checked off. Uncheck the boxes if you wish to change these settings.
Choose the Height – this will determine how many tweets will be displayed at one time. Think of how you wish the feed to look like on your site.
Choose the Theme color – light or dark which means your Twitter feed on your site will either have a white background or black background. Choose the color which will make more sense to blend on your site.
Click ‘Create Widget‘
If you wish to change the background or other settings, you can always go back to this menu and change the options.
Twitter will now display an address to copy. The most important part of this address is the numeric code which appears within the address. Your WordPress widget needs that code. Copy the code and return to your WordPress site.
Now Go To your WordPress – Dashboard – Appearance – Widgets
In the widget menu, choose the Twitter widget box from the settings. Copy the Twitter widget code into the Widget ID (?) box.
Click SAVE to complete the process. Now go to your site and check out your Twitter feed. If you wish to make appearance changes, go back to your Twitter widget menu in your Twitter account to make any changes.
Now you have your Twitter Timeline feed on your site and you may want to add your Facebook like box to your WordPress site . . . that will be my next post ! Right now I have to get outside and enjoy this beautiful Autumn day !
If you found this post useful, please feel free to share or like it !