If you have recently updated your business website, you should also check out your SEO (Search Engine Optimization) to make sure everything matches up so your site can be indexed by the search engines. Here are a few tips to help . . .
WordPress has so many site themes to choose from, how do you pick one that will work well for your site?
What is a theme?
A theme is a template for your site based on HTML, PHP code and CSS(Cascading Style Sheets). Most themes can be edited for color choice, backgrounds and adding additional Widgets. WordPress does have themes suited to certain types of businesses such as photography and travel, but if that doesn’t fit your type of content, there are other factors to consider when choosing your theme.
Here are a few tips to consider -
Are you trying to boost your SEO for your Blog or Website?
Start with good SEO practices to enhance your rankings and search engine visibility. Here are a few tips to try -
1. Are your post to long ? In today’s busy world, our attention is drawn in every direction 24 by 7 hours a day. We don’t have the time to read long winded posts that keep restating the obvious. Most of us have become experts at skimming articles or posts to pick up the most important take aways. A good average is between 300 and 1000 words per post.
2. Have you been posting? Don’t let your site go stale. Google likes a site to be fresh and see that action is happening on it.
3. Are you duplicating your content somehow on your site ? This confuses search engines. I am guilty of this with photos sometimes so be aware of placing content in more than one area on your site.
4. Are you linking to other sites ? The best links are in-bound links but you can also link to other sites you like and try not to link to spam type sites which could lead to a bad link.
6. Are you checking your links ? Links can go bad and search engines do not like broken or bad links. This is another reason to be careful if you are posting content from other websites. Their content could end up becoming unsupported and now you have the content on your site.
7. Are you using a social media analytics tool to discover which content is being shared the most? There are many analytic tools out there. Depending on what social media sites you use the most, many offer their own free analytic dashboard. WordPress, Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook all do.
8. Have you verified your site with Google ? You can do this for free through Google’s Webmaster Tools. This will give you information about traffic through your site and it’s free of course!
Improve your SEO with good practices and keep posting ! Search Engines like Google or Bing like to crawl all over new content. Happy Indexing !
SEO or Search Engine Optimization is a way to have search engines notice your site. There are good SEO practices know as “white hat” and bad SEO practices known as “black hat”. You want to stay on the “white hat” side. Here are a few ideas to help your SEO . . .
Page Rank – good SEO practices will raise your page rank position and help your website get noticed. How do you do this?
Google is one of the largest search engines with the most search traffic on the web. Google uses a formula to create a Page Rank for web pages. This assigns a value to your content based on Google searches. The exact formula is secret but there are a few knowns about Page Rank.
- links to other sites – more isn’t always better – Google likes to see links to pages with high page ranking, the higher page rank of the links on your site, the better off you will be. Just having a lot of links that do not lead to sites with value will not help your Page Rank.
- links back to your site – this is what you want to have happen, visitors linking back to your site will help your SEO
How do you find your Page Rank ? If you use Google Chrome, you can add a plug in to your browser or use a Page Ranking website like http://www.prchecker.info
Don’t worry if you don’t get a page rank, if your site is new you may not have a rank yet. Also, keep in mind that the scores from page ranking websites are an estimation not the actual Google page rank score, Google keeps that secret!
To use the page rank checker you will need to know your URL which starts with the http:// or https:// for most sites.
Permalink – What about your permalink? WordPress gives each post something called a permalink. You can see your post permalink listed just under your post title in the post editor. If your post title has words in it like -the,a or any non essential words that could mislead search engines, this is where you can remove those words and replace them with Keywords or simply just shorten the post title. For example, if your post title is “the day I walked the dog by the store and got my big showbiz break”, the permalink would look like this – http:// xyzstore.com / the-day-I-walked-the-dog-by-the-store-and-got-my-big-showbiz-break. You could edit the permalink to look like this instead – http:// xyz.com / day-I-walked-dog-got-showbiz-break. (NOTE – there are extra spaces inserted into these examples in order to prevent them from actually being a link to a site).
SEO and images you use – don’t forget about any image you are using in a post – make sure to use keywords in the description of your image. Be sure to fill in the details in your media library with the image title, alternative text -( which is for visitors using assisting devices to read website pages)- and a caption.
Categories – make sure the categories you are using are the correct. WordPress automatically fills in the last category you used so if you have several on your site, make sure the right one is checked. You can use as many of your categories as you like if they are appropriate for the post.
Lastly for today, Tags – this is just under the Categories Box on the right side of your post. Tags are a way for others to find your content. Searchers will use certain keywords to find what they are looking for on the web and your tags will help your content surface in searches. Do not over use Tags, search engines and searchers will not like it if they are searching for vacation home and you tagged your post about feeding birds with a vacation home tag. Most posts do well with search engines if they have between 3 and 10 tags per post. WordPress keeps a record of previously used Tags, just start typing the tag in the Tag Box and WordPress will automatically recall your tag so you don’t have to re-type the entire tag.
For search engines like Google – good SEO is honest SEO – no tricks, no spam, keep your content fresh and honest and you will find the search engines will like you.
Feel free to share or like this post if you found it useful !
Have you been trying to use Pinterest and wish to gain more followers or have more of your pins shared? There are many ways to improve your Pinterest visibility on the social media horizon.
Here are a few Pinterest tips to consider –
1. If you regularly post on a blog or website, create a board in your Pinterest account to pin all your blog posts on. Make sure to give the post a clear description or summary about the post in the pin description box.
2. Use relevant Keywords when naming your boards so searchers can easily find your products.
3. Make the cover of the board an eye catching visual to attract visitors to investigate your board.
4. Create secret boards first to make sure they are ready for the spotlight, then change the board type so all can see.
5. Put your most important boards first, first impressions are important.
6. Make sure to have Pin buttons on your blog with any posts so your material is able to be posted by viewers.
7. Embed your website name in a pin so a viewer can click through to your site via the pin.
8. Make sure to set up a business Pinterest account so you can take advantage of Pinterest Analytic tool for free. Pinterest Analytics will tell you what your most popular pins and boards are.
9. Don’t forget to check out your competition. Pinterest is a valuable resource to see what your competition is up to.
10. Use Pinterest to find other businesses or professionals to network with.
11. When holidays are coming near, consider making a holiday board because pinners will be looking for those types of pins – for example – Halloween DIY board ? Once they find your Pinterest board they may stop and look at your other boards.
Happy Pinning !
Please feel free to share or like this post if you found it useful.