Everyone wants SEO optimization of course but how do you get your blog to be noticed by Google’s little spiders ? Google isn’t the only search engine out there to optimize for but it is the most used. There are a few things to know about SEO and Google.
- When someone starts a search, they type in a few key words. Google then checks its index and displays the first 10 sites with that topic.
- Google is constantly changing its algorithms so you can’t figure out how the spiders decide what to index but there are a few things that can help you with your SEO optimization with Google.
- Spiders like to crawl so make sure your site doesn’t have any broken links which will make it more difficult to index. Check your links on a regular basis to make sure your links are working correctly. Things happen and links that may have worked at one time could need an update.
- Your site title should have Keywords in it that relate to what you are trying to do. A Keyword is a word that could make a match in the Google Search Engine database and make your chances to come up higher in a search greater.
- Spelling and grammar need to be correct and free of typos. Before you publish, check, re-check and then check again before you hit that button. It may take a little more time but it could help your SEO if you correct an error before it hits the internet.
- Google looks for pages that are helpful and interesting. They do this by recording how long a visitor stays on your page and how many pages of the site they actually visit and if they share your content on other social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Be specific when writing your post. The more you can narrow down what you are trying to write about the easier it will be to optimize. For example, if you are selling baby clothes and you want your website to come up in a Google search, that is a very broad search term and your chances of coming up in the search will be next to impossible unless you are a known name brand. Try narrowing it down from ‘baby clothes’ to ‘the Designer name, size 7 pink dresses. This will help you come up higher in searches using Keywords.
Mastering SEO is a way you can help your business site attract more of the customer base you need in order to succeed! Don’t forget your Google analytics. Check out your stats to see what is working for you. It’s free, all you need to do is activate a Google account to get your Google stats.
Feel free to ‘Like’ this post or share it on Twitter if you found it useful!
I can’t tell you how many times a day someone will say “Just start a blog”. Sure, it’s that easy. That would be nice if it was true. Having a blog is a constant growing thing that must be tended to like your garden. You can’t just let things go and have the weeds take over. There are many things you can do to grow your blog and keep your blog traffic increasing as you go along. Engaging content is always what you strive for.
It’s great to be able to write fantastic posts every time but in case you don’t, here are just a few tips to consider -
1. Ask a question in your post. Try to have a call to action for people to respond to.
2. Link an article to another blog and leave your comments on that blog. Always check the link to make sure it works.
3. Blog about important information that will be helpful to readers or new news in your business area people might want to know about.
4. Include keywords that search engines will pick up and use trending topics to reference in your posts.
5. Try to aim for one longer article each week. It takes about 1500 characters for SEO optimization. So take some time to develop one awesome post a week.
6. Make sure your post gets promoted to your Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr and any other social media platform you use. Always check on it to make sure it actually went through. Let your network know about the post to help co-promote it.
7. Networking – spend a set amount of time each day networking. This means read other blogs, comment on them, share the blogs you like with your Facebook. Tweet out good posts on your twitter. You can look up bloggers you like and connect with them on Twitter or Facebook. They will appreciate you did that and you may gain a follower for social media accounts that you have.
8. Check your stats out. See what has worked for you in the past and what hasn’t. You can’t know what is really working without keeping an eye on your stats.
9. Be true to yourself and write only about things you believe in and like. Don’t force yourself to write a blog about hair and makeup because you think you will make easy money. You need to be interested in what you are blogging about.
10. Show a personal side to your blog. Don’t have it be all about business. That’s for your website to do. The blog is where you can show the personality behind the business and help people as it may pertain to what you do professionally.
Tend to your blog like a garden, some days you must weed, some days you must feed it but above all else, enjoy it !