Successful Social Media recommends reading this post from the Social Media Examiner about Pinterest’s New Analytic Tool
click on the link to the Social Media Examiner’s Blog Pinterest Analytics Tool
After a little time off, it’s back to school, back to work and back to doing one of my favorite things – Blogging about Social Media –
new apps, technical tips and hopefully general useful tips on how social media can benefit your business.
As I went to post I realized my Tag cache was very full of repetitive tags, misspelled tags and tags I really don’t use. You need to eventually clean up your Tag library on your WordPress blog. Here are a few tips to do that.
First, lets talk about what a TAG is. A Tag is used to help reader find your content and also let readers know quickly what your post is about. You will find the Tag box under the gear wheel on a mobile device or on your computer look to the right sidebar just under the category menu.
If you do not see anything but the word Tag, click on the up arrow in righthand corner of Tag box to reveal the full Tag box.
To add new tags, simply type the tag name in the box and click Add. If you are adding more than 1 tag, be sure to separate them out with commas ! You can also use tag phrases but keep it short, no more than 3 words. The other option is to click on the Choose from Most Used Tags to see all of your previously used tags.
As you click on the tags you want to use, the tag name will appear below the Tag box with a tiny “x” next to it. After looking at your Tag list you may decide you want to delete a tag, just click on the “x” next to tag word and it will be deleted.
If you are using a mobile device and want to use previously used tags, just start typing the tag word and your tag list should come up, select the tag you were looking for.
Now, you may not be aware that WordPress is storing all those tags you used. Like many, we misspell words or find certain tag phrases work better than others so you may want to clean up your tag list so duplicates and the like do not clutter your list which should save you time.
Here’s how to clean up your Tag List:
Go to your Dashboard. Here you will see the Tag option, click on Tag. In this section a box will appear with all your Tags. If you click on a tag in this box, the description box will be enabled and you can add a description to the tag. Next to that you will see all your tags listed alphabetically.
To delete one tag, you can either check box next to tag to bring up the edit menu, then click delete or hover your mouse over the tag word and the menu should appear, click delete.
To delete multiple tags at one time, check off the box next to all the tag words you wish to delete. Next go to the top menu that says Bulk Action. Click on the up/down arrows next to it. The word Delete will appear, click on it, then you must click Apply to have the delete function occur.
As you can see, this menu is a handy tool to see all your tags, any descriptions you have given them, the slug and how many times you have used a particular tag.
You may want to note – the tags that you have used the most, there may be a correlation between your more popular content and well used tags !
Remember not to use to many tags as this could have an adverse effect by having your content turn up in searches which do not reflect what your post is about. For an extreme example – if your post is about installing a sink, don’t use a Tag such as Ice Bucket Challenge because that is a popular tag. Search engines do not like that kind of behavior and will rank you lower. Note * I will not be putting that tag in my tag list*
So get back to work, write your posts and remember to use Tags and clean out those old Tags that are of no use to you anymore.
Happy Tagging !
I can’t tell you how many times a day someone will say “Just start a blog”. Sure, it’s that easy. That would be nice if it was true. Having a blog is a constant growing thing that must be tended to like your garden. You can’t just let things go and have the weeds take over. There are many things you can do to grow your blog and keep your blog traffic increasing as you go along. Engaging content is always what you strive for.
It’s great to be able to write fantastic posts every time but in case you don’t, here are just a few tips to consider –
1. Ask a question in your post. Try to have a call to action for people to respond to.
2. Link an article to another blog and leave your comments on that blog. Always check the link to make sure it works.
3. Blog about important information that will be helpful to readers or new news in your business area people might want to know about.
4. Include keywords that search engines will pick up and use trending topics to reference in your posts.
5. Try to aim for one longer article each week. It takes about 1500 characters for SEO optimization. So take some time to develop one awesome post a week.
6. Make sure your post gets promoted to your Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr and any other social media platform you use. Always check on it to make sure it actually went through. Let your network know about the post to help co-promote it.
7. Networking – spend a set amount of time each day networking. This means read other blogs, comment on them, share the blogs you like with your Facebook. Tweet out good posts on your twitter. You can look up bloggers you like and connect with them on Twitter or Facebook. They will appreciate you did that and you may gain a follower for social media accounts that you have.
8. Check your stats out. See what has worked for you in the past and what hasn’t. You can’t know what is really working without keeping an eye on your stats.
9. Be true to yourself and write only about things you believe in and like. Don’t force yourself to write a blog about hair and makeup because you think you will make easy money. You need to be interested in what you are blogging about.
10. Show a personal side to your blog. Don’t have it be all about business. That’s for your website to do. The blog is where you can show the personality behind the business and help people as it may pertain to what you do professionally.
Tend to your blog like a garden, some days you must weed, some days you must feed it but above all else, enjoy it !
The Pinterest social network is far reaching. More than you may know. Make sure to have a Pin social share button on your Blog. You can add this by going to Settings and Sharing page. If you have the Pin share button, make sure you Pin your content from your Blog. By using the Pin It Button, every single one of your pins will include a Link back to the source. This means that Pinners can encounter your content and link back to visit your Webpage or Blog with just one click. Keep your Pinterest boards on topic and try to follow a theme. Follow boards of users that you would want to follow you back. Using Pinterest can help establish your brand. Try to remember your target audience and come up with content that will be helpful and may offer solutions to your audiences problem. Content is about starting conversations not just campaign marketing. Depending on your product or service, color boards are often interesting and fun to follow. The average Pinterest visitor that will look at a board may browse up to about 200 to 300 Pins. After that interest level goes down. A board with 10,000 Pin may be impressive at first but when visitors start to browse through your Pins chances are they will be onto something else by Pin number 250. Break the board up into categories and create several boards not just one big one. Use Pinterest to your advantage and Happy Pinning !
Sharing is good right ? Make sure you have all the share buttons you want on your blog in the format you like. The share buttons will allow your viewers to share your valuable content with their social media network. To add share buttons to your WordPress blog, go to the blog Dashboard. Under settings, select sharing. The Sharing Settings page will appear. The first section is for you to connect your blog to your social media sites such as Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and more. After you make sure your blog is connected to your social media sites, go further down the share page to Sharing Buttons. Click and drag the share buttons you wish to enable. Below this section, you can change the format of the share buttons to words only or words and icons or just the share icon. Customize the share buttons to suit your blog’s style. Happy Sharing !
Saturated Hues in Bloom